Next match

Team logo
Bath City (H)
Sat Mar 2

Next match

Team logo
Bath City (H)
Sat Mar 2 15:00
The Vanarama National League South

It's a struggle - as Slough reach semi-final

Didcot Town

Didcot Town

Mackay (45)
Slough Town

Slough Town

O'Sullivan (21), Young (23), Kiely (85)
B&B Senior Cup Unknown
DESPITE producing by far their worst display this season Slough Town moved into the semi final of the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup for the second successive season, at Didcot on Saturday.

However, on this display Didcot must still be wondering just how the Rebels are currently leading the Berger Isthmian League, Premier Division. Because apart from a brief period in the first half - when they scored two quick goals - Slough contrived to serve up a terrible display which was totally out of character with the kind of performances that have taken them to the top of the Premier Division.

In fact it was not until Micky Kiely scored the Rebels’ third goal in the dying minutes of the match that the possibility of Didcot snatching an equaliser was erased. For much of the game Slough were brought down to the standard of a spirited but mediocre Didcot side, and for long periods were even dominated by their Hellenic League, Premier Division opponents.

While Didcot can feel well pleased with their performance, the reverse can be said for Slough. The side showed very little commitment or appetite for the match and consequently few players emerged with any real credit. However, this is not the first time that Slough have struggled to beat Hellenic League opposition in the county cup this season - and their performances against such opposition now seem to follow a familiar and frustrating trend.

Didcot started brightly and had the first direct effort after eight minutes when a shot from Colin Oram beat Richard Teale but went just over the crossbar. But slowly the Rebels began to find their feet and after 19 minutes Keith White let fly with a powerful 20 yard shot which soared just over.

Slough then enjoyed their one and only spell of domination when they scored twice in the space of two minutes. After 21 minutes a cross on the right by Dave Yerby, to the far post, was headed back across the face of the goal by Eggie James, and Micky O'Sullivan hammered the loose ball soundly home.

Two minutes later a corner from Barry Friend was forced home by Eric Young at the near post, as the ball went in off the post and under the body of goalkeeper Geoff Wilde.

However, the expected Slough goal-rush never materialised, and it was Didcot who scored just seconds before the interval. Neil Allen broke through the Rebels' defence and although Richard Teale blocked his effort, the ball rebounded back to Allen who then laid it into the path of Paul Mackay. And with Teale still out of his goal the Didcot player’s powerful shot was deflected into the net by White.

The second half brought little constructive action, although Didcot were rather alarmingly allowed to take control and dictate play. However, despite the occasional dangerous break the home side lacked constructive ideas once in front of goal, and five minutes from time Kiely settled the tie when he shot home his 20th goal this season.

To complete a miserable afternoon for the Rebels, O'Sullivan was booked for a foul on Allen in a game best forgotten as far as Slough are concerned.

Didcot Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024