Slough Breakthrough

Dulwich Hamlet

Dulwich Hamlet

Slough Town

Slough Town

Jacobs (58)
League Attendance: 250 Rowan Dodds
Rebels’ midfielder Jimmy Jacobs popped up for a free header in the 58th minute of this Vauxhall Opel League clash to snatch victory for Slough Town and end a dismal winless record.

Slough were on the verge of setting a new club record for going 11 games without a win until the Slough-born star nodded in a Kenny Wilson cross.

And new caretaker manager Alan Davies admitted more than a little relief at getting his first victory under his belt since he took over from Howard Kennedy. “I am relieved but more so I'm pleased for the lads," he said. "They went out there tonight and gave 110 per cent. At half-time I was happy with our performance as I thought we had got the edge over them and they are a good defensive side.“

After a Dulwich midfielder had brought Rowan Dodds down in the first minute, Jimmy Brown came close to opening his account with the Rebels from the free-kick. Back to the goalkeeper, He took the ball with his turned and shot goalwards but the goalkeeper proved capable.

Dulwich played the offside trap frequently accompanying themselves with a synchronised roar but that was the only roar they got all night for some fairly uninspired football.

One rare excursion for Dulwich into the Rebels' half came, ironically enough, when they beat a Slough offside trap only to see striker Andy Perry beat the goalkeeper and the crossbar but credit to young Rebels' goalkeeper, 17-year-old Trevor Bunting, he quickly made Perry's job difficult by narrowing the angle.

The interval came to a dull, slogging match that had seen Dulwich suffer a constant barrage for the last 15 minutes while Slough snapped up their every clearance but without result. Kenny Wilson put that right in the second half when he escaped down the left flank, got behind the back of the defenders and crossed to the waiting Jimmy Jacobs. From six yards, Jacobs made no mistake with an unchallenged header into the net.

Rowan Dodds showed un-limited enthusiasm for getting the ball throughout the game and after one battle fed it out to the Rebels' captain, Derek Harris, who was promptly hacked down by Dulwich midfielder Bobby Armitt, who had his name taken for the foul but it was no way to welcome Derek Harris back to the squad.

A late attack on the Slough goal must have caused a few missed heartbeats in the Rebels' dug-out as goalkeeper Bunting fought shy of a sky-high cross, but it was eventually plugged away by the returning Slough backs.

Jimmy Jacobs latched on to a free-kick just outside the area and unleashed a vicious goal-bound shot in the dying minutes only to see a sprawling Paul Harding fling himself in the path of the ball to deny him.

Shortly after the whistle came to a hard-fought but not entirely entertaining match for the 250 crowd, naturally though the Slough outfit will be happy with the points and the entertainment should come late.

Dulwich Hamlet Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024