It's Lucky Jim!

Slough Town

Slough Town

Brown (82), McLeod (84), Wilson (89)


Dummer (37)
League Kenny Wilson
Jimmy Brown admitted that it was an outrageous piece of luck that sparked the latest in the series of Slough recoveries.

Brown's cross-cum-shot from the right was the first of three Rebels' goals in the final eight minutes that gave them an unlikely fifth successive win last Thursday.

The Slough striker ended his 82nd minute run down the right by floating the ball over 'keeper Simon Steele, who was miles off his line, into the far corner.

But he confessed that it was a fluke. "It was meant to be a cross," he smiled. "But you know the bad luck I have been having I think I deserved it. "

No one could deny that because Brown, along with Kenny Wilson, kept plugging away for Slough on a night when they seemed destined not to cancel out Worthing's 37th minute goal.

But once Brown had notched his fourth goal in four games the game was rapidly turned on its head. After 84 minutes substitute Jock McLeod netted his first goal for Slough, sweeping the ball in from six yards after Jeff Bateman had got away with a robust challenge on Steele from Wilson's corner.

And five minutes later Wilson finished off the job. Brown crossed from the right, McLeod's effort to win the ball sent it spinning to Wilson 18 yards out and his low shot was always destined for the bottom corner.

There was still time for another of Slough's heroes, 'keeper Trevor Bunting, to make two more fine saves to deny Russell Saunders.

The Wexham Park victory followed three away wins and Rebels' manager Alan Davies said: "It is a shame we can't reproduce the football at home for the supporters. But everybody must have enjoyed it at the end of the day. β€œ

Ironically Slough probably played better during a first half in which they fell behind than in a second half which finally yielded three goals.

β€œIn the first we played reasonably well," said Davies. "We knocked good balls into the box without getting anything out of it ."In the second half we looked a very tired team. But the thing about this team is they don't think they can be beaten. I think we deserved it we were a little unlucky to be one down. β€œ

Slough had looked likely to go ahead at any stage in the first half hour. Brown, sharp and hungry, chested the ball down and poked it wide; then headed past the post from a difficult angle.

Steele grabbed a Rowan Dodds' header before Bunting made a brilliant flying leap to hold on to Saunders' well hit shot from inside the box.

Wilson fired wide on the run and after 36 minutes Slough gave away a bad goal. Stephen Playle's clearance was turned back in by Kevin Foreman and Simon Dummer was given bags of room at the far post to head past Bunting.

Mick Edmonds got on the end of Paul Lelliott's cross a minute later, but Bunting performed more heroics to tip his header over the top.

Dodds headed wide of an open goal on the stroke of half time and just too high a minute after the break.

A Worthing free-kick skimmed off Trevor Dove's head on to the post, but McLeod had a great chance to level the scores with his first touch. He chose to go round the 'keeper, though, and had the opportunity taken from him by a defender.

The miss was quickly forgiven and forgotten in the thrill of the final eight minutes.

Worthing Lineup

Steele, Rowe, Raynsford, Vessey, Elphick, Saunders, Lelliott, Dove, Dummer, Edmonds, Foreman. Sub: Sharkey (for Raynsford (63 mins.).


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024