Slough Save Hendons Life

Slough Town

Slough Town

Keys (83)


Wade (2), Kiely (55), O’Brien (80), Gilson (86)
League Keith White
Wexham Park on Tuesday evening was a typical end of season setting with sparse crowd and hard, bumpy pitch. Hendon needed three points to avoid relegation and Slough three to consolidate sixth position.

The scene was set for a frantic encounter with the ball hoofed high into the air with common regularity. We weren't disappointed.

Hendon took the lead in the second minute when the Slough defence failed to clear and Wade had time to fire into the net from 20 yards.

It took Slough 30 minutes before they had a shot on target and then Broughton in the Hendon goal performed three outstanding saves from White, Wilson and Dodds.

But with both sides determined not to let the ball descend from the ozone layer the half ended with the crowd awaiting a Slough revival.

For once it failed to happen. Dodds was forced to retire in the 54th minute and replaced by Jock McLeod. Shortly afterwards former Slough favourite Micky Kiely headed Hendon into a 2-0 lead.

A Slough comeback never seemed a possibility and it was no surprise when O'Brien headed the third goal in the 80th minute.

For a moment Keys offered some hope when he stabbed in Slough's first goal from close range in the 83rd minute, but Gilson replied three minutes later to make the scoreline a humiliating 4-1.

Hendon appeared throughout to be much more determined to win the game and while not displaying great footballing ability, they thoroughly merited their win. It was pleasant to see their post-match celebrations as they heard that victory had secured their place in the Vauxhall-Opel Premier Division next season.

As for Slough, boss Alan Davies, was correct in saying: "We got what we deserved." Although the scoreline was a bit excessive there wasn't a player that emerged from the game with any great credit.

Hendon Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024