Stanley Sets Up Another Awayday

| Premier Interleague Cup
Slough Town
Dodd (47), Stanley (87)
2 - 2
Court (9), Kelly (64)
Tony Knight
A Neal Stanley goal three minutes from the end of this exciting Premier Inter League (now Club Call Cup) First Round match at Wexham Park kept alive the Rebels hopes and gives them the right to replay at Church Road.

Slough have the unusual record in his competition, formerly known as he GMAC Cup, of never having won at home and of winning all their away matches, so they will visit Hayes full of confidence, especially having already won there in the league this season. Rebels' boss Alan Davies was named Hunting Gate Manager of the month for September just before the kick-off for his side's 100 per cent league record during that period and he retained the same eleven that had done so well against Aylesbury a few days earlier.

It was against the early run of play when Hayes snatched the lead in the ninth minute, Jason Court nodding home Paul Benning's deep cross at the far post with the Slough defence nowhere. Chris Walton came close to doubling the lead, but Rebels keeper Trevor Bunting dived across to smother his well hit free-kick.

Although both sides were playing some wonderfully entertaining football, the two sets of defenders seemed to be in control. Tony Knight was particularly domineering for the Rebels.
Chances were few and far between and Hayes' Chris Dixon did well to swivel on Tony Kelly's cross in the 26th minute and send a shot from the edge of the penalty area inches past Bunting's post.

Six minutes later Thompson had strong appeals for a penalty turned down after Hyde appeared to impede him.

Dodd put the Rebels level, though, two minutes after the half-time break with his first of the season. Stanley's through ball was helped on by Jimmy Jacobs and the under-rated midfielder, looking suspiciously offside, drove his shot home off the inside of the post.

Sixty seconds later Thompson looked set to put Slough in front but Hyde forced him to push the ball too far in front and the chance was missed. With the alarmingly sparse crowd reduced further by the driving rain, the visitors restored their lead after 64 minutes when Tony Kelly was left unmarked to flick home Gary Churchouse's free-kick.

It appeared that the Rebels' chance had disappeared as the minutes ticked away until Hyde and centre-back Glenn Hayward both dithered over Dennis' rather hopeful cross and Stanley nipped in between them to nod home his fifth of the season.

A further 30 minutes of extra-time failed to separate the sides, although Stanley, Dennis and Bobby Dell all went close for Slough during the second period.

Hayes Line up

Hyde, Walton, Churchouse, Hayward, Leather, Court, Payne, Bening, T. Kelly, Dixon, Kuhne. Subs: W. Kelly (for Walton 97 minutes), Whiskey (for Dixon 108 minutes).

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2022