Poppies Chopped Down

Slough Town

Slough Town

Sayer (13), McKinnon (36), Pluckrose (82)
Kettering Town

Kettering Town

League Attendance: 1095 Alan Pluckrose
As if on cue, the rain started as the referee blew to start the opening fixture at Wexham Park, last Saturday, 22nd August. The Conference campaign was underway for season 92-93 with Kettering Town the visitors. The Poppies were well supported and throughout the game showed dissent and notices against their managing director and owner Mark English.

Slough kicked-off and both sides attacked well, with Slough putting pressure on Kettering. Three Slough corners within five minutes put the visitors defence under continual strain. Alan Pluckrose had the best chance after nine minutes when, latching on to a good through ball on the left, he struck his shot low and hard from ten yards, but 'keeper Reece managed to push the shot for a corner. There then followed a series of three corners from Slough.

After 13 minutes an Alan Pluckrose cross from the right was met by Paul McKinnon five yards out. It was parried by the visitor's 'keeper out to Ian Hazel, who laid the ball across for Andy Sayer to tap in from close-range.

Hazel was cautioned for a foul on Adams and this was followed by three Kettering players being booked, with the referee possibly being a little over zealous.

Kettering had their first corner after 26 minutes and Trevor Bunting was called upon to make a couple of good saves. Thereafter both Andy Sayer and Alan Pluckrose had good opportunities to extend our lead, but both were denied by the Kettering keeper.

After 36 minutes a headed ball from Steve Whitby fell into the path of Paul McKinnon who, beating the offside trap, ran all of 40 yards on the right flank, brought the 'keeper out, before tucking the ball low and hard into the net.

The second-half was quieter by comparison, with the Slough defence taking pressure, but keeping chances limited to around the 18-yard box. An excellent save by Trevor Bunting was needed on the hour when Curtis's low hard drive, through a crowded penalty area, looked goal-bound.

Curtis was again in the action after 69 minutes, with Trevor Bunting again doing well to deny him, before Darren Anderson cleared.

As the half continued the Rebels regain control and the last ten minutes saw Slough put the visitors defence under pressure again. Reward followed after 82 minutes when a long through ball from Steve Whitby fell into the path of Alan Pluckrose on the left. He carried the ball to the edge of the 18-yard box, drew the 'keeper and unleash an unstoppable drive

Kettering Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024