Pole-axed by Preddie



Bignall (10), Taylor (28), Robertson (43), Doherty (51)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Fiore (35), West (49, 75)
League Attendance: 480 Mark West
Two mistakes by Delroy Preddie cost Slough their five-run unbeaten sequence at Canal Street on Saturday when Runcorn were quick to exploit the Rebel keeper's weaknesses.

Preddie, who then lost his place in the side to Trevor Bunting who returned to action after a knee injury with the Reserves, was responsible for the first two goals in Runcorn's 4-3 victory.

A poor goal kick in the 10th minute was headed back for Runcorn new boy, 18year-old Mike Bignall, to grab his fifth goal in three games for the Merseysiders.

And Preddie remained frozen to the spot after a cross from the left in the 28th minute had found an unmarked Colin Taylor whose free header the Slough keeper made no attempt to deal with but which crept in under the bar.

Mark Fiore, a poor loser if ever their was one, hauled the Rebels back into the game in the 35th minute' with his first goal for the club since March last year against Yeovil. Fiore was perfectly placed to guide David Lay's strike from the edge of the box neatly inside the post with a carefully aimed sidefoot shot.

Slough looked as though they would repeat the pattern of previous games taking over after weathering a stormy patch.

But they were dealt a harsh blow two minutes before half time when left back Paul Robertson boomed in a well-timed long-range shot which struck the tar upright high up and' cannoned in at the other side of the goal.

The Rebels once again clawed their way back into the match four minutes after the break, an unmarked Mark West nodding in after a long throw from Lee Harvey was missed by a posse of players just inside the box and bounded on invitingly for the Slough striker.

But uncertainty in a Slough defence missing Graham Bressington two minutes later saw Runcorn regain a two-goal advantage, cross-ball finding Neil Doherty who headed home unchallenged.

The game deteriorated as Wigan referee Andy Butler reached for the yellow card a total of seven times - taking four Slough names-in the final 25 minutes.

Slough, however, continued to grind away and brought a point within sight in the 75th minute when West followed up a long-range shot which Mark Morris failed to hold on to and forced home his fifth goal of the season.

A point, which would have taken Slough clear at the top, looked odds on in the - dying moments as a series of headers from Slough pin-balled around the Runcorn goal.

Manager David Russell returned briefly to his theme that this year's champions will be the best travellers.

"We took' fours hour and 10 minutes to get there," he said, "and for the first twenty minutes of the game we had no legs.

"Travelling is difficult - if you leave earlier you are getting people out of bed, so' what you gain you lose - if you see what I mean."

Runcorn Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024