Magpies Hold On

| B&B Senior Cup
Att: 537
Maidenhead United
Channell, Ibe, Jarvis (67)
3 - 2
Slough Town
McPherson (70), Ullathorne (pen)
Keith McPherson
Slough Town's hope of progressing to their first Berks & Bucks final in years ended as they suffered a narrow defeat to local rivals Maidenhead United in a thrilling Derby match on Tuesday night.

In truth the Magpies adapted to the heavy conditions a lot better as the Rebels struggled to modify their passing game on a very heavy pitch.

It was Maidenhead who had the first chances in the match when both Ricky Ibe and Lee Channell were foiled by the returning Steve Mautone in the Slough goal.

Therefore it was no surprise when the home side took the lead when Channell found himself with space in the area after a corner. He fired the ball past Steve Mautone.

The Rebels finally began to show glimpses of their earlier season form after the goal with Michael Bartley's movement and pace causing the Magpies back three some problems.

It was Bartley who helped Slough have their first real shot of the match as the half drew to a close when he won a free-kick on the edge of the area. Michael Gilkes floated the ball towards the top corner only for Richard Barnard to claw the ball away for a corner.

As the rain continued to pour down during the half-time interval, the conditions became farcical in the second half.

Early in the half Steve Browne's men found themselves two goals down when a careless mix up between Steve Daly and Steve Mautone presented Ibe with the easiest of chances to score, and he duly obliged.

On sixty-seven minutes Slough conceded another goal when a corner from Ferdinand was headed powerfully into the net by former Slough target Jamie Jarvis.

With twenty-three minutes remaining the large number of Rebels fans who had made the short journey to York Road were wondering how many more Maidenhead would score.

However the Rebels made a number of changes which saw them bombard the United defence with waves of attacks. Steve Daly was pushed up front as was Sammy Winston with Junior Haynes and Kieran Gallagher replacing Michael Gilkes and Neville Roach.

This gave the Rebels a better shape giving the Magpies back three something to think about with Steve Daly's height.

Almost immediately they pulled a goal back when Winston's cross was headed firmly into the net by Keith McPherson.

Then with ten minutes remaining a Gallagher free kick sailed into the roof of the net only for the goal to be disallowed for an indirect free-kick much to the disappointment of the Slough players.

The away side did set up a tense finish though when a challenge from behind on Sammy Winston by Tom Hickey saw Simon Ullathorne score from the spot.

Slough desperately fought for an equaliser in the closing stages and the Magpies survived three goal-mouth scrambles in injury time, but the Rebels could not force the ball over the line in order to move the game into extra time.

It was a superb fightback by Slough in the end as they dominated the final 23 minutes, but in truth a very poor start to the match cost them the chance of appearing in a final at Adams Park.

Maidenhead United Line up

Barnard, Ferdinand, Morely, Kelly, Jarvis, Jeffery, Hickey, Ibe, Channell, Rake, Ulasi

Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2020