Rebels Continue Excellent Start

Slough Town

Slough Town

Winston (44), Hakki (83)


Moore (30)
League Attendance: 448 Veli Hakki
Slough Town managed to continue their superb start to the season with a hard fought victory over table topping Northwood. A large and vocal crowd gave their backing to the Rebels for this clash of the day in the Ryman Division One North division.

Slough carved open the first chance of the game in the opening minute when a Northwood clearance fell invitingly to Gilkes, but his effort was comfortably wide.

Northwood began to cause problems down their left wing with the tricky Chris Moore giving Dean Palmer a torrid time. Dave Nolan put in a dangerous cross from the left wing which was left by the near post defender and Dean Palmer flicked a header inadvertantly into Moore's face denying him a goalscoring opportunity.

Slough continued with their neat passing football and Spencer was able to release Hakki in behind the Northwood defence. As the inventive midfielder got into the area, he was caught in two minds, and his shot-cum-cross did not trouble Bullivant in the Northwood goal.

Northwood also continued with their good style of neat passing football and created a chance for Moore whose shot on the turn went over. Slough slowly began to edge in front and began to exert a bit of pressure on the Northwood defence resulting in a few near misses. Ryan Spencer was allowed some time on the edge of the area and struck a well hit shot too close to Bullivant but the Wood keeper could not hold the ball and was fortunate that he did enough to take it out of the path of the onrushing Winston.

Disaster struck for Slough in the 29th minute when a moment of madness from Zepherin gifted Northwood the lead. A high 'up and under' was lofted from the Wood defence toward the edge of the area. The young keeper rushed out to claim the ball but misjudged the flight of it, and Moore was on hand to poke the ball home into an empty net despite the best efforts of Steve Daly.
This appeared to knock Slough out of their stride and Northwood also appeared to take one step back to preserve their lead until half time. It took ten minutes for Slough to create their next chance with Sammy Winston attempting an overhead kick, but he never made good contact with the ball and it was a comfortable save for Bullivant. Slough did get their chance before half time though with Winston timing his run well and breaking through the offside trap. Finding himself one on one with Bullivant, he took his time and calmly picked his spot low to Bullivant's left hand side to take his scoring run to five goals in the opening four league games.

Northwood stepped up a gear and forced a succession of corners shortly before half time. With the final action of the first half, Steve Daly was fortunate to see his header go the right side of the post after a dangerous cross had come in as the sides went in even.

After such an eventful first half, the game slowed somewhat at the start of the second with both sides erring on the side of caution. Northwood eventually carved out the opening chance when slack defending gave Fitzgerald space in the box to meet a left wing cross, but the Wood stiker disappointingly missed the target. Moore again was causing problems and beat Palmer to cross for Fitzgerald, but his effort was deflected wide for a corner. From the resulting corner, Holman manged to direct a headed effort goalbound but found Zepherin atoning for his earlier error with a very good save. Zepherin again came to Slough's rescue when Nolan volleyed from 12 yards, but the Slough keeper claimed the ball well.

Moore was also guilty of missing a good chance as he found some space at the back post, but his volleyed effort was far too close to Zepherin and the keeper comfortably saved again.
Slough needed to get back into the game as for the majority of the second half, they played neat possession football, but lacked the killer pass in the final third to create a chance. Gilkes did manage to thread a ball through to Hale, who managed to turn and shoot but his effort went well over.

Time for another 'Goal Of The Season' contender. Veli Hakki struck a ferocious shot after holding off a defender, cutting inside and letting go from 25 yards. The ball flew across the goal into the far corner of the net leaving Bullivant with no chance. Slough were unfortunate not to extend their lead with a minute remaining when a quick break saw Metcalfe released down the left wing in a counter attack. With his first touch he crossed to Gilkes who headed home, but was unfortunately adjudged to have been offisde. Hale also went close as he cut inside from the left wing and curled a shot around a crowd of players, but saw his effort bounce just the wrong side of the post.

Northwood pressed and pressed in the dying moments, but the Slough defence managed to hold firm, and the final whistle brought relief to players, management and fans.

Northwood Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024