Tony puts the Boot into Hampton

Slough Town

Slough Town

Howard (41), Boot (65, 69, 90)
Hampton & Richmond

Hampton & Richmond

Ocqaye (45), Riddle (pen 80)
FA Cup Attendance: 537 Tony Boot
A hat-trick from Slough Town striker Tony Boot and a first half goal by defender Anthony Howard helped Slough progress to the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.

The match was far from entertaining early on with Hampton probably having the best moments.

The first chance however fell to the Rebels when Ryan Spencer picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area. He had the opportunity to lob the ball over Andy Iga, but he shot at the goalkeeper.

Hampton had a chance soon after when indecision between the Slough defence and goalkeeper Dominique Jean-Zephirin enabled striker Lee Riddle to get a foot to the ball, but the ball trickled wide.

This seemed to awaken the Rebels and they created two good chances in quick succession. The first of these fell to Sammy Winston, who fired the ball inches past the post and then soon after Tony Boot headed over unmarked from a corner.

With five minutes remaining before the break the home side took the lead. Boot picked the ball up wide on the right. His cross was misjudged by the Beavers defence and Anthony Howard sweetly struck the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Slough could have increased their lead soon after when Winston again turned his marker in the box and saw his shot cleared off the line.

Deep into first half stoppage time, Hampton equalised when a corner from Frank McCormack was headed forward by defender Gary McCracken and bundled into the net by David Ocqaye.

Early in the second half Slough had a good opportunity to regain the lead when Byron Bubb found himself in space on the right edge of the area, but he shot into the side netting.

The home side did regain the lead fifteen minutes into the second half when a long ball from defence found Winston. He unselfishly passed the ball to Boot who seemed certain to score. The striker scuffed his shot and the ball rolled into the back of the net, much to everyone's relief.

Slough now had their tails up and were playing some very neat football and with their next attack Winston headed over after a cross-shot from Michael Gilkes.

Slough increased their lead soon after when Winston superbly beat two Hampton defenders on the right. His cross was only partially cleared by the Beavers defence and the ball fell to Boot who shot past Andy Iga into the net.

Hampton had a chance to pull a goal back though when Alan Inns picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area, but he shot over the bar when he could have done better.

With ten minutes remaining Hampton were thrown a lifeline when the referee awarded a penalty after he spotted some pulling in the box between Dean Palmer and Riddle after a McCormack free kick - much to the bemusement of the majority of the crowd. Riddle scored from the resulting kick.

Slough ensured that they qualified for the next round though when Veli Hakki beat two defenders on the right. He passed the ball to Boot in the area who saw his low shot saved by Iga, but the rebound fell to the Rebels striker who shot into the back of the net to secure his hat-trick.

Slough played well and thoroughly deserved to win, but the only thing that will be of concern will be with injuries to both Dean Palmer and Ricky Browne. The Rebels squad looks stretched to its limit already especially with Darron Wilkinson, Steve Daly and Clement James out. Two new signings are expected later this week, however.

Hampton & Richmond Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024