Goal-starved Rebels can count on West

Farnborough Town

Farnborough Town

Gavin (30)
Slough Town

Slough Town

West (90)
FA Trophy Attendance: 856 Trevor Baron
Golden booted Mark West popped up with another miraculous strike to rescue the Rebels' Wembley dream against all the odds on Saturday. The Slough top scorer, struggling with a minor injury before the game, levelled with just 20 seconds left on the clock, as Farnborough looked all but assured of victory after a highly-charged and frantically-paced FA Trophy tie.

One last throw of the dice saw Mark Fiore float a head-high ball into the box after Chuck Moussadik had taken a free-kick from the half-way line, recalled Ansil Bushay got the flick-on and West and Ross Pickett both leapt to nod past 'keeper MacKenzie - West got the touch and his 20th goal of the season to force a replay.

All had seemed lost before then, as the Rebels plugged away in vain to cancel out Gavin's opening strike on the half-hour. He had planted a perfect header past the poorly positioned Moussadik after Robson picked his way past Fiore on the right and delivered a rapid cross.

Before then, it was the visitors who had looked the brighter. After just 30 seconds, Fiore - back to his best and utilised fully early-on had provided Garfield Blackman with a great ball front six yards, but his weak contact was not enough to steer it towards goal.

Bushay had a case for a penalty after Williams clearly tugged him on the turn, and was then manhandled again when set clear on 19 minutes, keeping his balance admirably but losing track of the ball and giving MacKenzie the chance to gather. Slough lost their way for a while after the goal, and Trevor Baron temporarily lost control of the well-checked Boothe to provide a few close shaves.

Moussadik came up with his first great save after Fiore sliced the ball into Gavin's path and allowed him the time to strike front the edge of the box. The 'keeper parried well as it flew to his right, and showed enough general composure to merit his move from Wycombe to Wexham.

The second half was a typical case of the Rebels hammering fervently at the door of fate and finally receiving a late invitation to join the party. They set their stall out early - Bushay's low shot was fingertipped round the post with Fiore hovering, and he then turned and volleyed onto the boards behind the goal as his old partnership with West - made necessary due to Cliff Hercules' being cup-tied - grew ever sharper.

Neil Catlin - somewhat subdued by his exploits in Altrincham - looped one over the bar after MacKenzie's ineffective punch under pressure front Baron, and then forced a brave stop after good work front Bushay, who was beginning to find a way round his marker.

Ross Pickett's arrival bolstered things further, and an equaliser loomed nearer but not quite close enough. Instead, Gavin let the Rebels off the hook by ballooning one clear chance over the bar, and it all looked over when Andy Clement was sent off on 89 minutes after a second needlessly physical tackle earned him a second yellow card in a generally clean game.

Instead, it was time to call on West, who always seems to have the answers. You can leave it as late as you like, but you know you can rely on him at least.

Farnborough Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024