Rebels' Cardinal sins



Harvey o.g. (2), Hay (69), Ellis (74)
Slough Town

Slough Town

League Attendance: 1911 Mark Fiore
A series of footballing disasters left the Rebels on the end of a humiliating 3-0 defeat at Woking. An own goal, missed penalty and sending-off conspired to sink Slough as their bitter local rivals taunted their misfortune.

With Kenny Sansom leaving the field after 75 minutes, the visitors finished the match with just nine men and must have been glad to see the back of Kingfield following a heart-breaking evening.

After just 80 seconds, veteran Cardinals winger Clive Walker had sent in a low shot from the edge of the box which Ben Miles could not hold, and Lee Harvey managed to knock the ball into his own net. The match went downhill from there.

Slough came back at first and put up a reasonable fight. Mark West was twice blocked by 'keeper Batty's ample frame and Cliff Hercules' free header from a huge Harvey throw went into the side netting. But Woking, as a forward force, proved impossible to contain - Thompson rounded former team-mate Andy Clement all too easily but put his shot straight at Miles, while Steele struck his own player after Steve Bateman's slip let him in.

All real hope was quashed on 37 minutes as Alan Paris crashed into Steele's thigh right in front of the referee and only just inside the Rebels' half. He had to be dismissed, and with no right winger as Garfield Blackman was subbed in the resultant reshuffle, the Rebels failed to trouble Batty again.

They were handed a giant helping hand just before the hour, when Ansil Bushay on for the injured West at half-time - got to the byline but saw his cross palmed away by Tucker for an obvious penalty. Without West, Clement fancied his chances but handed the ball instead to Sansom, the most experienced player on the pitch, who smashed it into the crowd and trotted back dismally.

Harvey was forced into a couple of good clearances which went someway to making amends for his earlier faux pas, while Bushay was a breath of fresh air at the other end but never had any support.

Steele had that in abundance, but went it alone, smacking the underside of the bar on 69 minutes. As the ball dropped, Hay nudged Miles out of the way and nodded in - the decisive referee ignored Bateman's protests.

They got their third when Walker teased Bateman, lobbed one in to the far post and saw Ellis tap past Miles. Sansom came off after that, and the Surrey side spent the final minutes passing it around - a sad end to a letdown of a match which was never the contest it could and should have been.

Woking Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024