Beavers And Rebels Draw

Hampton & Richmond

Hampton & Richmond

Allen, Inns
Slough Town

Slough Town

Metcalfe, Hodges
League Attendance: 300 James Saulsbury
The Rebels travelled to the Beveree looking to pick up their first away win of the new season. Eddie Denton was also looking to avenge last seasons 4-0 drubbing by Hampton and at the same time had the opportunity to get one over on his opposite number Alan Devonshire.

It turned out to be a high tempered encounter where both teams had to settle for a well deserved point. However Slough, who found themselves trailing twice, once again dug deep and displayed signs of determination, passion and desire by scoring another late equaliser against strong apposition.

Hampton and Richmond started the game as they meant to go on by inflicting a harsh foul on Alex Haddow. The resulting free kick was wasted and the home side easily dispossessed to gain possession.
Hampton were looking for an early lead and they very nearly had it. Luke Fontana broke away on the right flank and his pace was to much for the Rebels defence to handle, fortunately young Jake Whincup made an impressive save and a back tracking Haddow cleared any other potential danger.

It was now Hampton’s turn to receive a warning. Some nice interplay between Harris and Carbon resulted in a goal scoring opportunity. Harris whipped in a cross, neither Slough striker could make contact but Haddow anticipated the move and made contact at the back post, agonisingly his powerful header flew over the crossbar.

The Rebels continued to apply more pressure but Hampton were not breaking, however gaps were starting to appear in their defence. Last seasons ‘Young Player of the Year’ Glen Harris once again found enough space to direct a cross into goal scoring territory but Hodges couldn’t make contact and the ball rolled across the face of the goal.

Slough were once again displaying some attractive football but couldn’t find the end result. Haddow’s intense runs down the wing were causing Hampton a few problems, Hodges read the wingers through ball well but his shot was blocked by Richmond keeper Kieran Drake.

The game was approaching half time and Slough were starting to lose control of the game. Michael Murphy misread a ball from Wilkinson and Adrian Allen took his opportunity but luckily for The Rebels his shot hit the side netting.

Slough were getting sloppy and it was only a matter of time before Hampton made them pay. The home side turned on the style and a three man attack from Jeffrey, Fontana and Allen was enough to penetrate Slough’s strong back line. Adrian Allen made up for his earlier miss and slotted home from close range, a revitalised Hampton went in at half time a goal up, Slough had some work to do.

Alan Devonshire’s men would have been the happier at the break but it was Slough that started the second period the strongest. The Rebels looked capable of creating chances but seemed to be unable to finish the move and score.

Hampton were once again making Slough pay on the break, Whincup too the risk to come and claim a risky ball and in the process took Fontana out, after advice from his assistant The Official Mr Buck pointed to the spot. Luke Fontana had the chance to give his team a two goal advantage however just as he did against Wealdstone, Whincup guessed correctly and saved the spot kick.

This gave Slough another much needed kick-start and they once again pressed on for an equaliser. Further efforts from Haddow, Hodges and Seedel were all wide and Slough were getting frustrated.

Slough gained a free kick on the edge of the Hampton area after a foul on Carbon. Murphy swept the ball in to the cluster of Yellow shirts, Daly made contact with his head, the ball proceeded to hit the crossbar a come back into play, Hampton were unable to clear the ball and Christian Metcalfe volleyed home to get Slough off the mark.

However Slough’s jubilation didn’t last long. Slough conceded a corner after pressure, Substitute Alan Inns got his head to the ball and put Hampton back in front.

Slough needed some inspiration, the loud voice of Mickey Lewis could be heard from the dugout and the fans were getting nervous. Time was running out for The Rebels.

Steve Daly hoofed the ball up field in the path of Alex Haddow, an accurate pass was needed and it was delivered. Ian Hodges controlled the delivery with his chest and the ball was fumbled into the net.

Slough stuck it out and were able to hang on for the last few minutes. For the second game in a row The Rebels rose from the dead to gain a late equaliser. The Rebels now host Salisbury City on Bank Holiday Monday. A win is needed to sustain pressure at this early stage, anything other than 3 points could see us slip down the table.

Hampton & Richmond Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024