Second-half blitz puts Slough through

Slough Town

Slough Town

Haddow (66), Spencer (85), Carbon (90), Seedel (90)


FA Cup Attendance: 384 Matt Seedel
Slough progressed to the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup with a flattering 4-0 win over Cheshunt at Stag Meadow.

The Ryman Premier League leaders enjoyed good spells of possession but were hit by three late goals as they chased an equaliser following Alex Haddow’s opener for the Rebels.

Cheshunt looked every inch the top side in the division and they forced Slough back from the first whistle. Fortunately for the home side the defence was again superbly marshalled by skipper, Steve Daly, and another exemplary performance from James Saulsbury kept the clear chances to a minimum for the visitors. The best of these fell to Darren Grieves who broke clear of the Slough defence although he was unable to beat Jake Whincup who brilliantly came out to block the shot and force it behind for a corner.

At the other end the Rebels were unlucky not to take the lead after Alex Haddow collected a ball on the left hand side of the penalty area and got clear of his marker to fire a shot narrowly wide of Russell Ling’s left hand post.

The game continued to be played at a high tempo and looked like it was heading for a stalemate until a goal out of nothing with 66 minutes played. Ryan Spencer collected a ball on the right and rather than playing a pass through to Carbon, turned away from his marker and swung a cross into the area. Alex Haddow stole in on the blind side of the defender and met the cross with a powerful header which spun off the turf and went in via the post after initially looking like it was heading wide.

Cheshunt were forced to come forward in greater numbers following the goal and forced a succession of corners which the Rebels defence did well to keep out. Cheshunt’s enforced attacking intentions left greater room for Slough to exploit although they couldn’t take advantage until the last ten minutes when they hit the visitors with three goals to give the score line a look which did not really reflect the closeness of the match.

First Ryan Spencer collected a neat through ball from Glen Harris after 82 minutes, cut inside the defender and hit a left foot shot past Ling for 2-0.

Josias Carbon made it three soon after collecting an unselfish pass from Veli Hakki before firing past the shell-shocked keeper.

Matt Seedel concluded the scoring with the best goal of the game on the final whistle as he skipped past two defenders before winning the ball as he was challenged by a third. He then took the ball on before beating Russell Ling with a left foot shot into the corner.

The final whistle was greeted by jubilant scenes from Rebels fans hoping for a tie in Monday’s draw which would give them the best chance of progressing to the First Round proper.

Cheshunt Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024