Nine-man Rebels battle for point against Worthing

Slough Town

Slough Town

Jackman (65)


Beresford (45+1)
League Attendance: 633 Matthew Lench
Nine-man Slough fought back in the second half to take a well-earned point in a 1-1 draw at Arbour Park against Worthing, writes David Tancred.

An even first half was heading towards a goalless conclusion when the Rebels were punished with two harsh red cards by referee Phillip Eddie, which changed the entire complexion of the match and leaving Scott Davies' side to battle on with just nine players for the majority of the game.

The incident occurred on 38 minutes after Joe Dandy appeared to catch James Beresford on the touchline in front of the visitors’ dugout, which sparked a melee between the two sides with Elliot Benyon also receiving the red card in the aftermath.

On 13 minutes Matt Lench had his first chance of the game as the midfielder had an effort from distance which deflected into the path of Elliot Benyon, who also had an effort blocked.

Slough continued to pile on the pressure on and Gabe George found himself inside Worthing's box, having an effort from an awkward angle with goalkeeper Harrison Male safely claiming the ball.

Worthing had a chance to take the lead on 19 minutes with Oliver Pearce having an effort from just inside the 18 yard area which was straight down Will Dennis’s throat.

Slough had the ball in the back of the net on 27 after Temi Eweka headed home from close range, however the linesman’s flag was up to deny the defender and the Rebels from taking the lead.

After the red cards, Slough would have wanted to reach half time level, but Worthing took the lead in stoppage time with Beresford curling a beautiful effort into the far corner.

Slough nearly got an equaliser early in the second half on 52 minutes through Ogo Obi, as the forward got onto the end of a long ball on the halfway line, drove the ball forward and all the way into the Worthing box before forcing a save out of Male.

On 62, Obi had another chance after Matt Lench won the ball just outside the Slough box and drove past a Worthing player before hitting a brilliant ball towards Obi – however the forward’s effort was again saved by Male.

Three minutes later, Slough had their deserved equaliser. Moments after Johnny Goddard had a shot tipped onto the crossbar and an effort cleared off the line, Josh Jackman fired in after Worthing failed to clear a corner.

Temi Eweka had a shot cleared off the line again, the ball eventually ricocheting to Jackman who lashed the ball into the top corner from close range.

Will Dennis was called into action on 72 minutes, after getting down low to deny Oliver Pearce on the volley.

Finlay Chadwick had a chance for Worthing too, but the effort from inside the Slough box was straight at Dennis.

Slough held out to record an unlikely but highly welcome point, with the Rebels’ next game a crucial one away at Concord Rangers on Tuesday evening.

Worthing Lineup

Harrison Male, Joel Colbran, Danny Barker, Aarran Racine, Lewis White, Joshua Chambers, Oliver Pearce, Joseph Rye, James Beresford, Reece Myles-Meekums, Finlay Chadwick. Substitutes: Ruben Livesy-Austin, Daniel Bowry, Kyle Obrien, Mohammed Dabre, Callum Chesworth.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024