Rebels lose out in tight match at King's Lynn

King's Lynn Town

King's Lynn Town

Ward (64)
Slough Town

Slough Town

League Attendance: 752 Jack Turner
Slough joint manager Neil Baker spoke of his pride despite a narrow defeat at second-placed King’s Lynn on Tuesday evening.

The Rebels defended well against a dangerous King’s Lynn side, who completed the double over Hereford on Saturday, and a scrappy goal from defender Tom Ward on 64 minutes was all that separated the sides. There was plenty of controversy as the free kick which led to the goal was harshly awarded against Slough by referee C Walchester, with the 50/50 challenge having occurred right in front of one of his assistants, who did not see a foul.

Lench was then dismissed in the aftermath of the goal as he continued to protest to the referee, despite him warning the Slough midfielder to stop.

“I’m proud of the boys tonight”, said Baker. “Our lads worked their socks off. We played to limit King’s Lynn because we know they're a good side - and we did it, the lads stuck to their task tonight. It would have been a perfect away performance but it's been undone by a moment of madness”.

Slough made the long journey without top scorer Chris Flood, who was unavailable, and Perry Coles played as a lone striker supported by Matt Lench, with James Dobson and Warren Harris providing width.

The hosts made the stronger start, Michael Clunan firing straight at Jack Turner after receiving a pass from Toby Hilliard.

Turner also saved a low strike from Michael Gash, whilst Slough’s first effort was from Mark Nisbet, who headed a good chance onto the roof of the net from Lench’s free kick delivery.

Norwich City loanee Cameron Norman crossed in for Gash later in the first half, but the striker headed wide. But the best chance for the hosts came shortly before the break, again for Gash. His volley beat Turner but cannoned back off the crossbar.

Slough had created little of note in the opening 45 minutes, but twice went close early in the second period. George Wells surged through the hosts’ defence before curling the ball wide of the post.

Lynn responded with Craig Parker forcing Turner into a save, whilst Lench did well to prevent Frazer Blake-Tracy as a marauding run took him into the box.

The key moments of the game unfolded after the award of a free kick near the corner flag, with Norman adjudged to have been fouled. Clunan’s delivery was flicked on by Ryan Fryatt, and Ward was on hand to fire the loose ball home.

Slough almost went two behind shortly after the goal, with Turner pulling off a superb double save from Parker and then Clunan’s 25 yard drive.

The Rebels needed to reshuffle after Lench’s dismissal, and the heavy pitch also played its part with Simon Dunn and Sean Fraser needing to be replaced – Josh Jackman came on and slotted into a midfield berth, with Manny Williams joining Coles in attack.

Slough continued to apply pressure despite their numerical advantage, and Williams went close with a dipping effort from the edge of the box which went just over.

Nathan Smart replaced the tiring Coles late on and Slough had one final chance as they won a corner, allowing them to load the King’s Lynn penalty area, including Turner – but as the ball was cleared, only a superb last-ditch tackle from Mark Nisbet denied Ryan Hawkins a clear run at goal on the break.

Baker said: “We can't ask an awful lot more, we defended magnificently and Jack (Turner) made some great saves. We had some chances and I feel a little hard done by that we haven't come away with a point.”

Slough are on the road again this Saturday with a trip to Bishop’s Stortford.

King's Lynn Town Lineup

Alex Street, Cameron Norman, Frazer Blake-Tracy, Ryan Fryatt, Tom Ward, Ryan Jarvis, Michael Clunan (c), Toby Hilliard, Michael Gash (Tom Siddons), Craig Parker (Simon Lappin), Ryan Hawkins. Unused substitutes: Dion Frary, Eoin McQuaid, Luke Pearson.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024