Return To Winning Ways

Slough Town

Slough Town

Boot (43), Harris (63), Muldowney og (73)
Egham Town

Egham Town

Paterson (68)
League Attendance: 312 Glen Harris
Slough firmly put the midweek debacle at Corinthian Casuals behind them with a routine dismissal of Egham at Stag Meadow on Saturday.

It was as simple as the score suggests as Egham, under new management, were hardly in the game though Slough did make harder work of the win than they should have done.

Eddie Denton gave a debut to Josias Carbon, signed from Oxford United on loan, Lee Riddell making way for the wingback while Alex Haddow was also given a rare start in place of Paul Barrowcliff, as Slough reverted to 3-5-2.

Both Haddow and Carbon were prominent early on, delivering crosses from the flanks and from one of these, Darron Wilkinson laid the ball off for Glen Harris to rap the Egham upright.

But Haddow then stretched for the rebound and pulled a muscle and his participation in the game was ended early. It was tough for Haddow who has patiently waited his chance in his favoured position, not having appeared in the side at wingback since the 3-1 defeat at Walton in January.

Carbon, though, continued to burst forward and the Rebels won a corner midway through the half from his cross. Harris put in the perfect delivery but Tony Boot's header struck the woodwork and Ian Hodges could only direct the rebound into the grateful arms of Egham 'keeper Paul McCartney.

It seemed only a matter of time before the goal would come with Veli Hakki just off target with a long-range effort and then Hodges tumbling under a challenge in the box only for the penalty appeals to be waived aside.

The traffic was all one-way in the first half and Steve Daly looped a header over the top from Carbon's cross and Boot was inches away from turning in substitute Barrowcliff's cross-shot.

The breakthrough finally arrived two minutes before the interval. Former Rebel Paul Reid cleared a corner, but Hodges retrieved the ball before crossing for the unmarked Boot to pick his spot at the far post.

Rebels continued to apply the pressure after the interval with Egham surviving several scares. Harris saw a cross miss out on a final touch as it fizzed across the face of goal while Boot saw McCartney turn an effort aside.

But midway through the half, Rebels doubled their lead when Hodges laid the ball back to Harris who beat two defenders on the edge of the box before firing into the bottom right-hand corner.

Egham had done little in attack, but they pulled one back five minutes later when Aaron Nicholls and Steve Baker both saw efforts blocked before it broke to Matt Patterson who gave Alan Foster, restored to the team after injury, no chance.

Slough, though, were in no mood to let this one slip and the two-goal cushion was restored just five minutes later. Veli Hakki's attempted through ball struck Jamie Muldowney and looped over keeper McCartney.

That was it as far as the game was concerned and though Egham did make a token effort in the last ten minutes, they never really threatened to get back in the game.

Egham Town Lineup


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024