Stevens and Dobson fire Rebels into fifth place

Slough Town

Slough Town

Stevens (36), Dobson (47)
Hungerford Town

Hungerford Town

League Attendance: 772 Josh Jackman
Four wins in four league matches mean Slough picked up maximum points in September and moved up the table to fifth after this home win against Hungerford Town.

Jon Underwood was understandably delighted with the Rebels’ recent run.

“In this league four wins on the bounce is a good achievement, two away and two at home with three clean sheets in those four.

“Full credit to the boys, we have had a tough week with 120 minutes in the FA Cup on Tuesday evening”.

It was Hungerford who had the first chance of the game as Darren Foxley found himself played through one on one down the centre of the pitch after the visitors broke quickly from a Slough attack, but his shot couldn’t beat the ever-reliable Jack Turner.

It took Slough nearly fifteen minutes to get a clear chance on goal as another well worked corner found Mark Nisbet unmarked, but he couldn’t control his volley and saw it clear the crossbar.

A few minutes later Slough felt they should have been awarded a penalty as Mathew Stevens was tripped in the box, but referee Matthew Russell waved away the claims.

The first goal of the game arrived on 36 minutes as Josh Jackman was fouled out wide on the right by James Rusby, who collected the first yellow card of the game. James Dobson whipped in the free kick low to the near post where Stevens got in front of his defender to sweep the ball in.

The Rebels thought they had doubled their lead just before half time as Sam Togwell headed the ball back to Mark Nisbet to half volley in, but the goal was ruled out for a controversial offside decision.

In the second half Slough came out all guns blazing with Dobson receiving the ball on the left before cutting inside, weaving through the defence and firing in on his right foot from close range to double the lead.

A few minutes later Hungerford came close to reducing the deficit as Foxley saw his well-placed free kick cannon off the top of the bar and go over. From the resulting goal kick, Turner’s long clearance put the Rebels in a good position to work the ball into the box. The ball eventually came to Stevens with his back to goal but as he tried to get away from his marker, he had his shirt pulled back and expected a penalty only to be once again denied by the referee.

Slough were well on top in the second half as Hungerford often left players forward, and found that they had a little more time and space to create chances. Scott Davies made the most of this and after a few one-twos he played in Stevens, who had to rush his shot but brought a good save from Jacob Weaver.

A few minutes later substitute Chris Flood was played in but once again Weaver did well to keep out his shot and turn it around the post for a corner. From this corner Nisbet found some space but couldn’t get enough power on his header to worry Weaver in goal.

A flurry of substitutions from both teams calmed the game somewhat and little else happened until the final minute when Josh Jackman made a late run into the box but couldn’t keep his shot down.

Hungerford Town Lineup

Jacob Weaver, Marcus Johnson-Schuster, Matt Jones, Daniel Bailey, Marvey Ekpiteta, James Rusby (c), Romone Rose, Charlie Ten-Grotenhuis, Alex Fragata, Ritchie Whittingham, Darren Foxley. Substitutes: Ian Herring, Charlie McCready, Tommy Ouldridge, Alfy Whittingham, Tarik Moore-Azille.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024