Roberts double sends Slough second

Welling United

Welling United

James (40)
Slough Town

Slough Town

Roberts (27, pen 74)
League Attendance: 615 Dan Roberts
Slough Town chalked up their third consecutive away win with this victory at Park View Road, a result which moves the Rebels back up into second place in National League South.

There was a change in formation for the Rebels as they reverted back to a 4-4-2. With Max Worsfold a late drop out, Dan Roberts was restored to the starting eleven alongside Ben Harris up front.

Playing down the slope, Slough got off to a strong start with Roberts narrowly failing to capitalise on a low George Wells cross. Welling responded quickly with Anthony Cook picking out a cross for Cameron James at the back post but his header was high and wide.

The Wings had two more chances before the 10 minute mark. Che Krabbenden was unable to get the ball out from under his feet from a corner when well placed, then Jack Turner rushed out well to deny Cook.

On 13 minutes the Rebels felt aggrieved by the referee and his assistant when Ben Harris was clearly tripped over in the box, with the linesman signalling a corner before the referee overruled him and only gave a goal kick.

Relived to have escaped a penalty, Welling pushed forward and had a few minutes of sustained pressure in the Slough half. With the ball eventually getting into the box, Dipo Akinyemi was able to turn but shot wide across goal.

After a little break, Slough took the lead in the 27th minute. A corner from Matt Lench was first won by Sam Togwell but his header went up rather than forward, with the ball then being flicked back towards goal by a defender perfectly for Dan Roberts to leap high and thump in a header from close range.

Slough looked to extend their lead quickly with Warren Harris breaking through down the left side, however Roberts was unable to control his cross but still managed to gain a corner.

Welling had a half-hearted appeal for a penalty on 33 minutes. With the ball on the edge of the Slough box, a pass was played through with a huge bobble taking the ball towards Ryan Bird’s arm. The referee deemed it to be ball to arm rather than the other way around.

The Wings got a deserved equaliser on 40 minutes but through rather fortunate circumstances. After more sustained pressure, Cameron James tried a speculative shot from around 30 yards. Jack Turner went down to save it but was deceived when the ball took an unexpected bounce off the uneven pitch, taking the ball above him and a weak palm was not enough to stop the goal.

The final few minutes of the half went in Slough’s favour. Bird had a scuffed shot from a corner before Dan Roberts had a decent chance from a long throw which went across the box.

Having had the sun in their eyes throughout the first half, the Slough fans were pleased to move around to ground in the second half and gathered in the stand just behind the away dugout to make some noise.

The second period began with Welling appealing for a penalty, but the referee waved away the appeal and gave a Slough free kick instead. A quick ball forward found Dan Roberts free on the left and with even numbers in the box he found Matt Lench who turned onto his left but shot over the bar.

Slough had much of the play in the second half, with George Wells and Josh Jackman able to push forward and add numbers to the attack. Wells put in a dangerous cross which was only just headed behind by a Welling defender. Not long after, pressure from Slough won the ball high up the pitch and Lee Togwell was able to shoot from just outside the box but high over the bar.

The Rebels had success throughout the match with corners and long throws from Guy Hollis. Sam Togwell was a thorn in Welling’s side, coming close to putting Slough ahead on the hour mark.

On 63 minutes Ben Harris was forced off after taking a knock and was replaced by a returning Louie Soares as Slough moved to a 4-5-1.

Pressing high up the pitch and in pairs, Slough were able to pin Welling back for long periods of the second half and earn a few free kicks - one of which from Lench found Lee Togwell in space again, but another chance flew over the bar.

After being denied a penalty in the first half, the Rebels eventually got one in the second. A ball over the defence saw Roberts through one on one with a defender. With the ball in the air the Welling defender attempted to punch it away but the referee spotted it and immediately pointed to the penalty spot. Roberts stepped up to the muddy penalty spot and with his right foot put the ball just out of the reach of Daniel Wilks.

Having regained the lead, Slough continued their efforts and looked to extend it. However, on a pitch starting to cut up and become slippery they found it harder to break through the Welling defence. Equally Welling struggled to properly clear their lines and create chances themselves. On the rare occasion the Wings ventured past the halfway line the Slough defence was in place and Jack Turner was alert to claim any loose balls.

The hosts were awarded a free kick centrally 30 yards out on 90 minutes and for a few seconds the Slough fans were quiet with nerves that Welling would gain an equaliser. However, Turner was determined not to concede a second and saved well.

One final heart-in-mouth moment came for Slough in stoppage time when a Welling player went to ground in the box, but the referee correctly saw nothing in it with Wells cleanly winning the ball.

Slough saw out the remaining moments to record an excellent win which takes the Rebels back up to second before the visit of third-placed Havant & Waterlooville next Saturday.

Report: Will Tuck

Welling United Lineup

Daniel Wilks, Chiori Johnson, Nathan Green, Romoney Chrichlow-Noble, Harold Joseph, Diaz Wright, Cameron James (Bradley Goldberg), Che Krabbendam (Aaron Cosgrave), Dipo Akinyemi, Phillip Roberts (Korrey Henry), Anthony Cook. Unused substitutes: Adam Coombes, Montel Agyemang.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024