Togwell hits two in win at Dunstable

Dunstable Town

Dunstable Town

Slough Town

Slough Town

Togwell (25, 90+3), Williams (40)
League Attendance: 282 Lee Togwell
This Good Friday victory at Dunstable may prove to be more than ‘good’ for the Rebels, who extended the gap between fifth and sixth place in the league to 10 points.

And with heavy rain across the country looking likely to postpone several matches over the long weekend, Slough have the chance to reduce the number of games in hand over teams around them, particularly with a home match on the Arbour Park 3G to come on Easter Monday.

This win over second-bottom Dunstable in appalling conditions at Creasey Park means the Rebels are a step closer to their goal of securing a playoff place with nine games remaining.

Slough dominated the first half, spurning a glut of chances. Dunstable goalkeeper Nathan Harness kept the Rebels out with a number of fine saves, the first of which came from a George Wells free kick.

Minutes later, Perry Coles turned in the box and forced an easier save from Harness – and shortly after, Lee Togwell’s shot was saved with a scuffed follow-up shot from Matt Lench headed off the line.

Mark Nisbet also sent a volley straight into the arms of the keeper, but he was powerless to prevent Slough eventually taking the lead on 25 minutes. Manny Williams slid a pass to Josh Jackman – occupying a role on the right side of midfield – and he put in a low cross which Togwell touched past Harness.

Slough continued to knock on the Dunstable door, with Coles bringing another good save from Harness from 20 yards, Jackman firing wide and Togwell seeing a shot deflect off a defender and fly wide. Scott Davies also almost notched his first goal for the club, but his shot was headed clear as it flew towards the top corner.

Eventually Slough grabbed their second goal, and Williams was the man to get it as his shot deflected off a defender and looped over Harness and into the net.

Jack Turner made his first real save a minute before the interval as the rain continued to fall, putting the match in some doubt as it wore on.

Harness was in fine form again early in the second half, denying Lench with a super save. The Slough midfielder then put the ball wide from Davies’ cross.

Both sides battled on in the ever-worsening conditions as puddles began to form in certain areas of the pitch. Coles was frustrated twice more in the space of two minutes just past the hour mark as he looked for his first goal in four games.

Slough looked comfortable with their two-goal lead, but the hosts fashioned a chance with twelve minutes remaining as a back post header from a corner went wide.

Coles went clean through on goal with nine minutes left but put the ball wide with just Harness to beat – and the keeper was there again a minute later to keep out Williams’ low drive.

The Rebels added a third goal in stoppage time to cap a professional victory, Togwell on target again with an emphatic finish as the ball fell to him kindly.

Dunstable Town Lineup

Nathan Harness, Peter Kioso, Gedeon Okito, Mano Langlais, John Sonuga, Daniel Trif, Lanre Ladipo, Andrew Osei-Bonsu, Arel Amu (c), Sam Kehinde, Ty Ward. Substitutes: Nathan Mullings, Ben Collins, Erin Amu, Alex Ward, Jonny Barnett.


Slough Town FC is not responsible for content produced on external websites | Copyright Slough Town FC 2024